Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fabric Stash

With the help of some great buys on EBay my fabric stash is growing.



I have decided to make a pieced quilt for each child to fit their bed. The quilts (art) that I had first selected for each are more for wall hangings and after looking at them realistically I don't think I can add enough borders to make the fit their beds and still look nice. Also since several are the fusible machine applique I'm not sure how they would stand up to the constant use on a bed. SOOOO they will get two quilts hopefully. I have started to collect fabric and know I have enough for the oldest son's quilt, maybe enough for the oldest daughter. So now will when my bank account recovers from these last purchases, start the shopping, looking process for the right fabrics for youngest son and daughter.



I think with the stash I now have there is sufficient fabric for the Bonnet Girls quilt, and for the quilts I've selected for grandchildren that I haven't been able to find in BOM kits. I also have enough (I think) fabrics to make the From out of the Darkness in the black, grey, black on white fabrics, and enough red for the butterfly. I chose to make this out of cotton quilting fabrics, as they hopefully will be more durable. This pattern I'm adapting for a quilt for another granddaughter that loves horses. I have some fabric with small horse print that I think I can cut out and fuse similar to the butterflies on the smaller blocks. I have a larger horse print fabric that I think I can cut out a head and applique to the center block and maybe but a wreath of flower around the neck - this block is still in planning. I just bid on autumn fabrics for this quilt and hopefully will get the auctions for them on Ebay.



Now with all the enlarged stash, growing collection of BOM kits, I just need to get moved into my place so I can have the time and space to get these finished. About 40 more days till move day.



I started a ring bearer's CQ pillow top this past week. Have some of the patches attached and am doing this a bit different that other CQ blocks I've made. Instead of sewing down all the patches then adding the lace to the seams, I'm adding them as I go. Once I've sewn two patches together I cover that seam with the lace. This allows that the ends of the lace is under the next patch and sewn into that seam. I'm hoping it will make a neater look than having to turn under the ends, or open a seam to tuck in the end. I selected the thread for the embroidery, now to decide what stitches and flowers I'll embroidery in the patches. They will be Brazilian Dimensional Embroidery flowers using the EdMar threads. A new to me type of embroidery I discovered about 6 years ago and thoroughly enjoy both the stitching and the end result. To me it is one of the prettiest embroideries I've seen, and next I enjoy Crewel embroidery. I'm sure there are other types just as pretty, but these are two I've found I truely enjoy.

5 comments:

Marlublu said...

HI,I came across your blog and I'm glad I did. I just love the little dress blocks. Oh my goodness I saw those on a site a long time ago. I just fell in love with the quilt. Where did you get your patterns? I also love the Valentine quilt It's gorgeous. I'm stopping by again for sure.

Deepa said...

Hi Elsie,
Loved your little dress blocks. They are beautiful!!!

Deepa

grandmarockton said...

love the dress blocks, where did you find them? Your going to BUSY with grandchildren and don't forget great Grands?! I'll be back. sandra

Deepa said...

Hi Elsie,
Long time..busy??
I've tagged you for a game of unspectacular quirks..

Elsie's Passions said...

For those interested in the little paper doll dresses, here is the link for the patterns - which I'd been the one to think of them.

http://www.kreationsbykaron.com/

Elsie