Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sat Jul 12

Well like all other months so far this year this one is going by so fast. Seems only yesterday I had my birthday and now it is 10 days later.

What have I accomplished in those 10 days. Not as much as I'd liked, but watching two lively energetic boy ages 4 1/2 and 3 does keep one busy, with not a lot of time to do things I want to.

I did manage to shop on EBay and find some good buys for fat quarters - in fact a lot. Some to use on sane quilts for my children, some to use in my Bonnet Girls blocks for a granddaughter's quilt, and others just because I liked them and will find a use later.

I also traced all the Bonnet Girl patterns to Freezer Paper but two. Used the entire box of 75 sq yards or 16.5 feet - saw the 75 yds and thought that was lenght - was wrong. Anyway it was a lot of tracing. Also did the blocks I have for County Journal (chickens), and Summer's End (dogs). Now to cut them all out and iron to fabric, then cut out the fabric and store in gallon zip-lock baggies. Then I can start the sewing process. Hopefully before July ends.

Sharon B has on her blog stitch a Tuesday where she lists a different stitch for each Tuesday for a year. I've added the link to my blog and hope to spend some time in the next several months practicing some of those stitches given. In scanning through a few, I've done them before, but more practice is always good and I'm sure I'll find some new stitches that I've seen not tried, or that I've tried and didn't do so well at.

Yesterday I bought some Steam A Seam fusible to do the fusible patterns with. Not nearly enough to do all the blocks I have to make, but a start. I have several traced on another brand I got at Wal-Mart - Heat and Bond lite. So will compare the results and use the one that is the best. Which may mean I have to retrace what I have done already. Have a couple of little projects that I traced of a spay of flowers from one of the blocks to make for these 2 boys. Will do one in Heat and Bond lite the other in Steam A Seam and compare. Hopefully there won't be enough difference to matter which I use.

In the shipment of fabrics already received from EBay were a number of pillow top blocks with photos of animals. Kyron had voiced his desire for a quilt of animals. There are 2 blocks of each animal with a different pose. So the boys will have quilts with same animals and arrangement on different pictures - so they can tell them apart. Since for the most part they still share a room having almost alike quilts will look good on their beds.

Time to stop typing and get to tracing if I ever hope to finish these quilts. Still have one quilt I'm undecided what to use for a theme. He collects clowns and had thought of making one with clowns, but the patterns are not realistic of the type of clown I like, at least those I've found so far. Also, thought of patriotic colors as he was in Army and worked a lifetime career in Civil Service. So for this one I'm still searching for the just right pattern.

No comments: